Yet another celebrity that makes wine has emerged. Last night at my best friend’s place, I was introduced to a great Chilean wine called Único Luis Miguel, but I never made the connection with the famous Latin Pop singer that has a Grammy under his belt – Luis Miguel. I confess, I’m not a fan of his, but as of last night, I’ve become a fan of his wine. I give him credit for selecting a well-known region in Chile. Maipo Valley produces some outstanding high quality Cabernet Sauvignons and it shows in this particular bottle of Único Gran Reserva. I highly recommend this solid wine for the price.
1. Category: Earthy, Peppery
2. Wine Type: Cabernet Sauvignon
3. Country: Chile – Maipo Valley
4. Price: $13.00
5. Notes: Deep cherry red color with strong notes of black currant, black pepper, and a hint of earthy tobacco. After enjoying the wine for an hour, hints of cocoa appeared.
Cheers to you Antonio Banderas! Anta a10 is wonderful.
From the moment I could sniff the wine glass, I was impressed and my only thought was, “please don’t disappoint on the delivery”. Oh what a surprise! The wine delivered and had a long French oak finish. Full of character and flavor. I highly recommend the Anta a10 blend! I still need to try the others.
Every so often Thai food is a necessity when in Chicago. Opart Thai House is your place to go for some amazing appetizers. All appetizers on the menu are great, from the Chicken Satay to the Crab Rangoons, but the ONE I call my favorite at Opart is the skewered tender beef called Tiger Cry. In the past I have walked in with a wine bottle and ordered three appetizers of just Tiger Cry for dinner…it’s that good. Oh, the Pad Thai noodles, Fried Curry rice, and all that jazz is also good.
We enjoyed our Thai dinner with a new bottle on the scene – Puerto Viejo Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile ($8.99)
Opart Thai House
4658 N Western Ave
(at Leland Ave)
Chicago, IL 60625
(773) 989-8517 www.opartthai.com
Not bad for $7, love Trader Joes’ for their deals! This easy to drink, quietly sweet Cabernet Sauvignon can be enjoyed by any new wine drinker. Soft tannins compliment the plum, anise and vanilla flavors.
1. Category: Sweet, Anise, Vanilla
2. Wine Type: Cabernet Souvignon
3. Country: USA – California
4. Price: $7.00 (Trader Joe’s)
5. Notes: Soft tannins that compliment the vanilla, anise, and plum flavors.
November 7, 2009 Weekly Wine Pick – Ménage à Trois Red
1. Category: Lusty
2. Wine Type: Zinfandel, Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon
3. Country: USA – California
4. Price: $8.99
5. Notes: Three lusty grapes play well together to create a mouthful of juicy flavors. This sassy wine has hints of blackberry, smooth cocoa middle, and a satin finish. This wine will NOT tease, but please you with a happy ending.
1. Category: Promisqous
2. Wine Type: Blend (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Sirah, and Zinfandel)
3. Country: USA – Cal
4. Price: $10
5. Notes: I’ve recently been seduced by a promiscuous blend of grapes… basking in the playfulness of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Sirah, and Zinfandel, I’m all in for the tasty ride with a touch of coffee and oak lingering in your mouth. Promiscuity never tasted so good! Enjoy and as the wine maker states on the bottle, “practice safe sipping”.
There’s some serious pimping at the Chemically Imbalanced Theater. If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind “pimprove” (pimp improv), you have to make it to the Friday night act. The 3 man pimp show is like no other. I’m not sure if it’s the ghetto fabulous pimping, outfits, or roasting on some of the audience, but this show is drop dead hilarious. For about $16 and your preferred wine bottle, you can have a good time for under $25…I know I did and it doesn’t get any better than that! Check out one of their videos:
Wine Type: Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, and Sangiovese
Country: USA – Washington State
Notes: There is beauty in ciaos, and it’s found in this particular blend of grapes that the maker so eloquently put it…”Here’s to making a disaster of a wine.” Somehow they have managed to make a great tasting wine that makes your taste buds crave more. Here’s to great tasting ciaos!